This policy was last substantively updated December 17, 2021. It was updated January 19, 2022 to reflect a change in the firm’s name.
Richard G. Sanders, PLLC – Privacy Notice
Richard G. Sanders, PLLC d/b/a Rick Sanders Law (the “Firm” or “we” or “us”) is committed to protecting the privacy of our existing clients, potential clients, and other visitors to www.ricksanderslaw.com (the “Website”), and the security of the information they provide to us there. This Privacy Notice describes the Firm’s internal privacy and data security policies and how we treat personally identifiable and reasonably personally identifiable we collect about you (“Customer Information”)
- What Customer Information the Firm collects from you;
- How the Firm collects that Customer Information;
- For what purpose(s) the Firm collects Customer Information (in other words, how the Firm uses your Customer Information and what legal grounds it has for collecting and using your Customer Information);
- How the Firm stores and secures your Customer Information;
- How long the Firm will store your Customer Information;
- Whether and with what categories of third parties the Firm will share your Customer Information;
- What rights you have to have your Customer Information changed, deleted, or moved, or to restrict how we may share your Customer Information; and
- How you may file a complaint against us for violating the relevant data protection laws and regulations, or our own policy;
- Our contact information;
- Our policy with respect to amendments to this Privacy Notice; and
- Other required notifications.
- WHO IS COVERED BY OUR PRIVACY POLICIES?
- The foregoing notwithstanding, we do not direct our Website to children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at [email protected]
- WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT? We divide the Customer Information we collect into two categories:
- Personally Identifiable Information: This may include any personally identifiable information you provide to us, including but not limited to, first and last name, email address, mailing address, phone number, gender, or social security number.
- Automatically Collected Information: This will include your computer’s IP address, the type of browser, operating system, and information about which parts of the Website you visit and how long you spend on the Website.
- HOW DO WE COLLECT CUSTOMER INFORMATION?
- With respect to Personally Identifiable Information, we collect this information when you provide it to us on the “Contact Us” page in order to send us an e-mail. We collect this information only with your consent, when you voluntarily provide the information to us. We encourage you not to provide us any more information than is necessary in order to make a request of us (“Request”), such as the information necessary to evaluate whether your legal question is a good fit for our firm.
- With respect to Automatically Collected Information: we collect this information through:
Cookies: A cookie is a small file placed on the hard drive of your computer. “Session” cookies are only stored during a web site visit and expire when the web browser is closed. “Persistent” cookies remain on your hard drive after a web session is over until a set expiry date, and allow a website to remember your login and preferences for your next visit.
Web Beacons. Pages of the Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Firm, for example, to count users who have visited those pages and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity). However, the information collected by Web Beacons is not Personally Identifiable Information.
- HOW DO WE USE YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION, AND WHAT ARE OUR GROUNDS FOR PROCESSING YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION?
- We use your Customer Information to review your Request, and to respond to your Request. Our basis for processing information for this purpose is that when you provide us with the information when you make a Request, you have given us consent to use that information for that purpose.
- We store your Customer Information in your client file, if you become a client, and in our general database of contacts, in order to be able to follow up with you about your Request, or communicate with you about your case should you become a client, or for any other purpose which may be set forth in an engagement letter with you at such time as you become a client, or, with your request, to send you marketing information such as our blog or newsletter, and, subject to your rights set forth in Section 8, for our legitimate internal and business record keeping purpose.
- We use your Automatically Collected Information to analyze website usage such as time spent on our website, and location information including where are website visitors are located.
- Subject to our ethical obligations as lawyers, we may process your Customer Information where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in an administrative or out-of-court procedure. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the protection and assertion of our legal rights, your legal rights and the legal rights of others.
- In addition to the specific purposes for which we may process your Customer Information as set out in this Section 4, we may also process your Customer Information where such processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person.
- HOW DOES THE FIRM STORE YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION AND KEEP IT SECURE?
All Customer Information provided to us through our website is transmitted through a secured HTTPS channel. All Personally Identifiable Information is stored on locally encrypted computers, and with our third-party vendors who assist us in operating our business (“Third Party Vendors,”) namely, in a Office 365 business account, and in Clio, our billing and invoicing system. You may view the privacy and security notices of Microsoft here and of Clio here. Customer Information is also backed up from our locally encrypted computers to Backblaze. You may view the privacy and security notice of Backblaze here.
6.HOW LONG DOES THE FIRM RETAIN YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION?
- We will retain your Customer Information for as long as you are a client of the Firm. We may retain your Customer for up to 5 (five) years in accordance with our internal data retention policy.
- Otherwise, we retain aggregated/ non personally identifiable information in order to maintain Network membership records for our legitimate internal business purposes, and subject to your rights as set forth in Section 8.
- TO WHAT CATEGORIES OF THIRD PARTIES DO WE SHARE YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION?
- We do not sell, rent or lease Customer for marketing purposes.
- We will not share your Customer except with our Third Party Vendors as set forth above, or except in connection with a legal matter in which we represent you under an engagement letter.
- WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS WITH RESPECT TO YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION THAT WE POSSESS?
By contacting us at [email protected] you may:
- Request a copy of the Customer Information we have about you. The first copy of this information will be provided free of charge each year. Subsequent copies will be subject to a reasonable fee for delivery and for our time in preparing the copies;
- Request that your Customer Information be corrected or completed.
- Request that your Customer Information be transmitted to another data controller in a reasonably acceptable format. Your Customer Information will be transmitted under this request for a reasonable fee for delivery and for our time in preparing the Customer Information for delivery in the requested format
- Request that we cease processing your Customer Information in certain ways (for example, sharing your Customer Information with some or all of our Third Party Vendors); and/or
- Request that your Customer Information be erased.
For any requests of the nature set out in subsections 8(a) through8(c), we will comply with your request without undue delay after verifying your identity, or inform you in writing as to why we can not comply with your request and what alternatives, if any, may be available to you.
For requests of the nature set out in subsection 8(d) or 8(e), we will comply with your request without undue delay unless your Customer Information is still necessary for the stated purpose for which it was collected, such as that we still have ethical or legal obligations to you, or that we have a legitimate business purpose to retain certain information for the integrity of our databases or for historical data accuracy, unless we are required to erase your Customer Information for a legal or regulatory reason. If we are unable to erase your Customer Information, we will inform you in writing as to why we can not comply with your request and what alternatives, if any, may be available to you.
- HOW CAN YOU MAKE A COMPLAINT IF YOU BELIEVE WE HAVE PROCESSED YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION UNLAWFULLY OR IN VIOLATION OF THIS PRIVACY NOTICE?
You may notify us at [email protected].
- AMENDMENTS TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We may make amendments to our Privacy Notice from time to time. If we do so, we will notify you by e-mail and on the home page of our Website. We may require you each time we make changes to acknowledge that you have reviewed the changes. Any amendment to our Privacy Notice will only affect the processing of Customer Information which takes place after such amendment.
- OUR CONTACT INFORMATION
You may contact us at [email protected]. You may also contact us at 605 Berry Road, Suite A, Nashville, TN 37204.
- OTHER REQUIRED NOTIFICATIONS. Your rights under California Law: If you are a California resident, you have a right to request from companies conducting business in California a list of all third parties to which the Firm has disclosed Personal Information, as defined under California Civil Code Section 1798.83(e), during the preceding year for third party direct marketing purposes. We do not disclose personal information of our Website visitors to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes, so we are not required to comply with California Civil Code Section 1798.83(e).